Monday, April 14, 2014

Remembering Bobby...


Monday night at 7 pm at Cedar Springs Church we will celebrate the life of Bobby Denton. There are many people who will be there to remember a very special man. It will be a very emotional time for many, myself included. As a student at the University of Tennessee, I learned of the job opening at WIVK and applied. The job was to do news in the afternoons with a guy named Bobby Denton. This was 1973. James Dick hired me for the slot and that was the beginning of our working together for almost 40 years. His signature sign off was "put a little love in your heart darling, bye." I remember the cigar, the laughter, the jokes he and Claude would play on each other, the fun times at station parties, and our hard work. Bobby used to tell me "We work hard and we play hard." And we did. My first trip to Las Vegas was with Bobby as was my first trip to the Country Radio Seminar in the 70s. I met many country stars through Bobby including Waylon, Randy Owen, Mel Tillis, and the list goes on. I would have accomplished nothing had it not been for Bobby. He was true mentor and did so much for so many. My kids loved Bobby. They grew up running down the halls of WIVK and Bobby would always hold them, give them candy or maybe a dollar. When they went on mission trips, Bobby was the first to contribute. He was the ultimate promoter, always thinking of ways to grow the station. With Claude, Ed Brantley, Bob Thomas, Jimmy Vineyard, Jean Ash and others, we reached heights never before seen in Knoxville radio. At one time. Claude had a 40 share of the audience in the morning and WIVK had a 38 share. That had never been done before and will never be done again. It was truly a special time with a special group of people. I imagine Bobby, Claude, and Mr. Dick are having quite the reunion. Rest in Peace Mr. Denton. (Mike Hammond)

Page 3...

Happy Birthday wishes to Kerry Lambert!